Monday, July 28, 2008

Thoughts on the eve of my last real day of teaching summer school

As the title of this entry suggests, tomorrow is the last real day of teaching I have left of training this summer.

Wednesday we are going on a field trip to the Prospect Park Zoo, which I am more excited about than my kids are. Then Thursday all we are doing is administering our end-of-summer assessments for math and reading, and, of course, having a pizza party. (Our rad class won the perfect-attendance pepperoni party! yeah what!)

In between debriefing with my adviser, making posters for tomorrow's math lesson, trying to sort out last-minute apartment details (who needs electricity, anyway?) and trying to stay un-sick, I've done a bit of reflecting of what I've learned the past several weeks.

I think my biggest take-away is, still, something a speaker said on the first day of training: You have to forgive yourself every night and recommit every morning.

After days like today, it's harder than it seems to forgive yourself. But after a month like the past one, I think it's even harder not to recommit.

No comments: