Monday, March 10, 2008

A rainy (and snowy!) weekend in Napoli, Pompei and Capri

Before I get started, some good news: the Backstreet Boys are performing in Rome on April 30. If AIFS doesn't kick me out before then, my roommate Sarah and I are SO going.


Anyway, the whole AIFS group took a trip to Pompei, Napoli and Capri this weekend. We crossed our fingers for good weather, but it rained (and even snowed) most of the time. It cleared up a bit Friday afternoon as we walked the archaeological site, but as soon as we were going to head up to hike Mount Vesuvio on Saturday, it poured. Therefore, we spent ALL day Saturday in and out of a string of semi-interesting museums. Yawn.

Quite luckily, the weather cleared up for us on Sunday and created the P-E-R-F-E-C-T day for traveling to the island of Capri, off the coast of Naples. After about an hour boat ride (I, of course, napped the entire time ... it really made me miss my water bed!), 150 20-something American tourists were set loose on the small island. There, I had some of the best pizza I've ever eaten, conquered my fear of heights in a single-person chairlift to the top of a mountain and took some of the strangest public transportation I've ever experienced. Overall, Capri was amazingly beautiful. It goes down in the books as one of the prettiest places,I think, on earth.

But enough words. Here are some pictures:


In Pompei, "breakdancing" again. This was an ancient amphitheaters where gladiators used to battle. Sweet!


Another theater in Pompei. The people in the background of this picture left promptly after I began singing ...


Mt. Vesuvio.


Pompei.


Naples is really ugly up close ...


But very pretty from far away.


At dinner, I asked our waiter what his favorite pasta dish was, and he brought me this. All I could think was: "Stop looking at me, Swan!"


The remains of my dinner -- shrimp, mussels and clams. When in Naples ... do as the Napolitani do, right? It was actually pretty good.


The view from right outside our hotel, in a small town about 45 minutes from Naples. That's Napoli in the background, and the mountain is Vesuvio.


Me in Capri, an island about an hour off the coast of Napoli.


We took a chairlift from Anacapri up to the top of a mountain, where there are remains of a castle. The chairlift was the scariest thing ever, because the mountain was very tall, and it was just single chairs that shook way too much for my liking ...


I was just praying that I wouldn't fall ... didn't Kevin fall/jump out of a chairlift once? I thought I remembered hearing that story at some point, but maybe I made it up?


Remains of a castle on the top of the hill overlooking Anacapri, a town on the island of Capri.


Queen of the mountain!


This is Annalis on the chairlift on the way down from the hill - scary (but beautiful)!



P.S. Saturday (March 8) was National Women's Day in Italy. So happy belated women's day to all of you out there!

1 comment:

... said...

March 08 was INTERnational Women's Day. :)