Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Battles

It's the end of my second official day in New York, and I can say now that I'm facing a lot of battles in my future. The real work hasn't even started yet (the last two days have just been full of workshops, registration and what we like to call "Drink For America" activities), but I've already begun the fight against my own insecurities about leading a classroom, my concerns about finding a place to live and, especially, the ridiculous humidity that has made me look less like myself and more like a creature from the "Critters" movies.


But the humidity is just the beginning.

I had dinner tonight in the East Village with a Teach For America alumna (of the 2005 Bronx corps) who reiterated how many times in her two years she wanted to quit. Her school was a nightmare; her principal was even worse. Everyone has told us in the past two days that it's not even a question: we ARE going to fail. Every single one of us. I just hope I can learn from my mistakes like we are supposed to be able to do. I'll find out soon enough. Institute starts on Monday, and I start teaching summer school July 7.

On the brighter side of things, I am loving New York (despite the damp, damp heat). We are staying in residence halls at St. John's University in Queens, and it takes about an hour and a half to get into Manhattan by an intricate system of buses and trains. I went into the city for a happy hour last night (as part of Drink For America week, of course) and then again tonight, like I said, for dinner with a former corps member. It's incredible, and I don't think I could be happier with my decision to move to NYC. I've met a handful of incredibly smart, talented and nice people in the past two days, and I'm really looking forward to working with them for the next two years.

At the end of the day (the second day, anyway), my overall impression, so far, of Teach For America, the people and the city, is that I know I have so much work ahead of me. But when I think about the success stories I've heard, and I realize the difference I can make, I don't think there is anything worth fighting for more than this.

1 comment:

... said...

That's truly the scariest creature I've ever seen. Never having seen "Critters", that thing looks like it's straight out of my own nightmares. In fact, it's exactly what I could never picture gnawing at me my whole life. Insecurities, angers, and...everything...personified. Well, if it were a person it would be personified.
But what we talked about the other night...the worries...? That thing embodies all of that, too.