Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Vacation!

It's only vacation day 3 and I've already seen many new places, eaten very new things and experienced something quite ... strange. Here's a recap:

Saturday:
I spent my Saturday hanging out with a new friend and traveling to new places in the city. First we went to the most magical place on earth: Economy Candy, a deliciously exciting candy store with many of my favorites (like a 5-lb bag of Sour Patch Kids) and several interesting new delights. (I tried these space ship-shaped wafers full of sour dust ... quite strange. I still can't decide if I like them or not, and I've already eaten most of the bag.)
After hopping up on sugar we traveled to the 5 Pointz in Queens, several giant walls of graffiti on the outside of seemingly abandoned buildings. Very cool. I unfortunately didn't have my camera on hand to take pictures, but here's the official web site's photo gallery: http://www.5ptz.com/5pointzgallery.html

Sunday:
My roommate Becca and I hopped a train to Massachusetts. Actually, several trains. We changed trains in New Haven, Conn., and Springfield, Mass.
We had about two hours before our next train in Springfield, so we decided to grab a bite to eat. However, it turns out that NOTHING is open in Springfield on Sunday. The one place we did find was called the Student Prince, and it turned out to be amazing German food. Yes! After a stein of beer, a bratwurst and an alligator tail cutlet (an extremely unique texture, by the way),
we stumbled back to the train, and I took the most glorious nap before arriving at our ULTIMATE destination: Pittsfield, Mass.
We came to Pittsfield because Becca's parents had an extra time share, and there is a lodge up here that is part of that. We walked into the lodge at about 4:30 p.m. and very quickly realized that we are the ONLY people here without children. How do I know this? We walked right into the recreation room in time to see dozens of families filling the tables in preparation of BINGO hour. Oh, and the recreation room is attached to an arcade. It took me nearly an hour of annoyance at the kids running around and screaming to realize that this is actually a GOOD thing. An on-site movie theater? A Dance Dance Revolution machine? Skee Ball?! Best vacation EVER.

Monday:
So far today all I've done is slept late, watched TV, ate an incredibly cheesey quesadilla, and checked the news online. But who knows what else is in store? The Skee Ball machine is just yards away, and my pocket is full of quarters.

No comments: