Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ice Skating in Central Park

It's been a pretty crazy week since I last posted. One of my students locked me and the rest of the kids INSIDE the classroom for about 30 minutes by ripping off the door handles. The next day, another student got into quite a bit of trouble for a different incident. And on Friday we had quite the freak-out when a mouse, that had been living underneath my radiator, decided to make an appearance during math workshop. There must've been something in the water this week.

But it all ended on a high note, because I had the opportunity to take four of my scholars ice skating in Central Park for the afternoon on Saturday.

Here's the lucky winners: Daniel, Darilis, Davita and Jesslyn.


Darilis falling on the ice ... for probably about the fifth time.


Out of all the students, Daniel was the one who was glued to the wall the whole time.


Jesslyn enjoyed the skating so much, it was hard to get her off the ice.


Have I mentioned how much I love Darilis? She once told me that she wished I would adopt her.



This is just one of the outdoor rinks in Central Park. It's at the north end, about 10 blocks from my apartment. Here it is from a look-out point above it. It was VERY crowded on Saturday.


We had enough time at the end of the day to take a little stroll through the park before heading back to the subway. What we found was awesome: not only was the lake frozen, but there were still geese just walking around on top.


We also had time to take a bunch of extremely silly pictures. In each one, they decided to yell something else, ranging from "CENTRAL PARK!" to "HEY HO LET'S GO!" I wonder if they know that's a Ramones song ...


Waiting for the 2 train on our way home after a very fun day.


There's just two weeks (10 school days) before our week-long February break. My roommate, Becca, and I are heading to Massachusetts for the first part of the week. Her parents have a time-share at a ski lodge with an indoor pool and a hot tub. So we're going to leave our school work at home and just relax. I'm counting down the days.


No comments: